Plants, plants everywhere and there’s still more to do. I got the Brighwell blueberry plant in the ground, so we now officially have 31 blueberry bushes. I’ve also planted several more forsythia bushes along the property line between us and our front neighbor. I’ve got a pot with several more in it, I just need to take the time to break them all apart and get them in the ground. I’ve also started the small retaining wall that is necessary to get the water line covered up before winter. We’ll see what Saturday brings in the way of progress with plants and progress on covering the water line.
Even More Blueberries
Well, after having blueberries on the brain after planting the ones from early last week, and circumstances being favorable (read: I had a long day at the farm on Saturday), we planted 9 more plants yesterday, and still have one more to plant! We purchased 4 more Tifblue plants, a Brighwell plant and Mrs. Betty wanted her blueberry plants thinned out, so I dug the ones up that she wanted gone and was able to get 5 plants out of them. 9 of them made it in the ground before dark leaving only the Brighwell to get planted tomorrow. This will make a grand total of 31 blueberry plants! I think we’re done with the blueberry plants for now, finally 🙂 I also have two more concord grape plants to get in the ground along with a huge list of other things to plant. You’ve gotta love the never ending farm “to-do” list!
Yesterday we planted 7 more blueberry plants to bring us to a grand total of 21! We still have spaces for a few more to completely fill out the patch, but we’re cheering for these 21 to take off and produce copiously! Hooray for another item marked off the “Farm To Do” list!
Blueberries! (and grapes)
I’ve added a new category of “Fruit” to the Journals. We’ve been cultivating some blueberry bushes and grape vines and we’ve finished cleaning up the blueberry plants for winter. Right now we have 13 blueberry bushes, all low bush varieties. We’re trying three varieties, Climax, Premiere and Tifblue and we have an odd row of other one-off plants and we’ll be adding some unknown varieties in that row as well. All the blueberries got newspaper for weed block and a nice cover of wood chips that have been composted with the offal from this summer’s chicken processing. This will help keep the vegetation down around the plants as well as help keep moisture in. We have seven more plants that we hope to get in the ground near the end of the month after the weather cools down a bit more. This year there were very few berries, but hopefully next year we’ll have enough blueberries to share! We also have two grape vines at the moment, one muscadine and one concord. They just got planted this spring, so we’ll see they fared the winter next in spring.