This past weekend I was able to finish planting all the stuff in the back of the truck. There were several (maybe 12 or so?) forsythia and two Concord grapes. We also got the retaining wall built that will contain the cover for the water line that was exposed during some of the heavy rains. Dad was able to get the last of the concrete in it to complete the filling and it’s now ready for dirt!

The end of winter is near!

We have completed the cross fence. I have a picture of it in progress with snow on the ground. We had quite a little rain this past weekend and even though our little bridge look WAY overbuilt back when it was really dry, after the few inches of rain it doesn’t look so overbuilt now 🙂 The water got up on the drive, but did not wash across, so our gravel is still all there!
We’ve also been doing a bit of planting, at the beginning of winter we planted 12 more blueberry plants. This past week we planted 5 redbud trees and two grape vines. There’s a picture of the trellis too.

Winter Quiet

Just wanted to get something out about what’s going on in all this cold.  It’s quiet at the farm for the most part, the bees are all in their hive and all the plants are in their dormant state.  It’s a very harsh, sharp landscape compared to the lush of summer green, but I do enjoy being able to see the field contours and through the woods.  The only thing really changing right now is the addition of a cross fence between fields 1 and 2.  As I get more of it constructed there will be pictues 🙂

First Batch Complete!

Yesterday was processing day, the day of truth, if you will and it was a SUCCESS! With the help six other people we were able to process 88 chickens in under 4 hours for a time of about 2.7 minutes a bird. A BIG thank you to all our help, it would not have happened without you! Thanks to our fastidious bagging and labeling help who dutifully recorded the weight of every bird twice, once on the label and once on the record sheet, we were able to calculate some numbers last night and I really do love numbers, especially these numbers. The average weight was 5.1 lbs and using that weight we have calculated that the conversion ratio of grain to pound of dressed bird was 4.1:1, so it took 4.11lbs of grain for every 1lb of dressed bird. Not too bad for our first attempt! We fed exactly 2000lb of feed and the birds were eight weeks and one day old.

We’re looking forward to more customer feedback, but at this point we’re almost certain we’ll do it again in the near future!

Hello world!

Here’s the new website!  I’ve been playing around with figuring out how I wanted to do the hosting and now have made decisions and it’s all set up!  This is the first post and since I’m kind of a dork it has the appropriately dorky title 🙂

More will be coming in the next few weeks including pictures and history and mission statements, but for now I’m just going to be excited about the fact that this is up and running.